Use gluten free quinoa in place of the more traditional wheat for this refreshing grain salad. The brilliant flavor of the fresh herbs is like a party in your mouth!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 med. Tomatoes diced small
- 6 scallions chopped small
- 1 med. Cucumber English or remove seeds
- 1 sm. red bell pepper small dice
- 1 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup finely chopped mint
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup cold pressed olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced (optional)
- 1 tsp. celtic salt
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne
Place dry quinoa in a colander and run cold water over it. It needs to be rinsed well to get the soapy flavor off. (this keeps the birds from eating it)
Place rinsed quinoa in a small saucepan with a tight fitting lid. Add 2 cups water, cover and bring to a boil.
Lower heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until water has been absorbed. Allow to cool.
In the meantime, chop all the veg. and set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients; lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt and cayenne. Everything gets mixed together in a large bowl.
If time permits, refrigerate for a while to meld flavors, adjust seasoning just before serving.
This dish will leave you feeling satisfied but not heavy. A great salad to bring to a potluck or picnic, or, in a boxed lunch. Goes great served with other Mediterranean type dishes.